Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thing #23

It's always important to give credit where credit is due. As an artist, I know it would feel pretty crummy if someone copied my work without asking me.

That's why Creative Commons was invented. Creative Commons allows you to create licences for your copyrighted material and set conditions for how others may use them. If want to allow people to use your work, you can say so. If you don't want people to change your work, you can say so. The list goes on and on. Really, it's like a tailor-made copyright license.

As a teacher, I can see myself using Creative Commons often. I can allow lesson plans I've written to be share using Creative Commons. I can also find other teachers' lesson plans to use. I can show the artwork of other artists to my class. So long as you give credit, there are plenty of works that other people won't mind you using. Just check the Creative Commons conditions for their work.

Even APSU's 23 Things is based on the website 43 Things. See, Creative Commons is pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment