Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thing #18

I respectfully decline to make a Twitter or Facebook profile. To answer the question, "Why is it important that educators know how social networking works?" well, I don't think it is. It might be useful at times, but not necessary or important. Teachers have been teaching for hundreds of years without ever having to touch Facebook. I've found that many people use it to push political views and have passive aggressive feuds with family and friends. I don't think Facebook or Twitter has a place in education.

This article was the nail in the coffin that finally convinced me to delete my Facebook. Apparently, some employers might not hire you if you don't have a Facebook, as it could be a "red flag". Also, "even some psychologists believe people who aren't on social networking sites are 'suspicious'". Also, some mass murderers don't have Facebooks, so that must mean you might be a mass murderer if you don't have a Facebook. Or, from slate.com, you shouldn't date someone who doesn't have a Facebook. This is all just so ridiculous. No one should hold a website to such a high standard in determining someone's personality. It's a dangerous way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment